Re: compare plots results

From: Rik
Subject: Re: compare plots results
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:39:49 -0700

On 06/30/2014 04:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 20:09:05 +0200
> From: Andreas Weber <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: revive compare_plot_demos
>
> Am 21.06.2014 11:36, schrieb Andreas Weber:
>> > ... I would like to revive http://octave.sourceforge.net/compare_plots/
> I uploaded the comparison from a current default build with ftlk,
> gnuplot and ML to http://tech-chat.de/compare_plot_demos/
>
> The diary of each run can be found here:
> www.tech-chat.de/compare_plot_demos/fltk/diary.log
> www.tech-chat.de/compare_plot_demos/gnuplot/diary.log
> www.tech-chat.de/compare_plot_demos/matlab/diary.log
>
> I want to summarize some problems I've encountered:
>
> * Insert "close all" before each plot to avoid triggering bug
> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42612 for fltk and gnuplot
>
> * Need to temporarly patch sombrero to be able to run it in ML because
> default arguments:
> -function [x, y, z] = sombrero (n = 41)
> +function [x, y, z] = sombrero (n)
> +  if (nargin == 0)
> +    n = 41;
> +  endif
>
> * matlab/diary.log: ERROR in axis_03: Error using axis (line 176)
> Unknown command option ticx
>
>   -> 'nolabel','ticx','ticy' seems to be octave only additions
Octave additions.
> * matlab/diary.log: ERROR in axis_04: Error using plot
> Error in color/linetype argument
>   ->  adding legend keys with ";key;" is an octave only addition?
>
> * axis_09,10,11,12 No, 'xaxislocation' 'zero', 'yaxislocation' in ML
> (http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40588). Should be removed from demos or
> blacklist axis_09 and other demos in dump.m script
This is an Octave only feature.  We can either blacklist, or visually skip
over the comparison since it is blank for Matlab.

> * matlab/diary.log: ERROR in datetick_02: Error using
>   datetick>parseinputs (line 355) The axis must be 'x','y', or 'z'.
>
>   Because datetick (2, 'keepticks'); is not valid in ML.
>   I think this should be "datetick ('x', 'keepticks');"
It should be datetick (2, 'x', 'keepticks').  The demo block is trying to
test that you can use an axes handle as the first argument.  In Octave, 'x'
is always the default axis and doesn't need to be re-specified.  In Matlab,
it appears you do need to do this.

> * matlab/diary.log: ERROR in legend_01: Error using handle.handle/set
> Invalid or deleted object.
>
>  This is our demo block:
>   clf;
>   plot (rand (2));
>   title ('legend called with cellstr and string inputs for labels');
>   h = legend ({'foo'}, 'bar');
>   legend location northeastoutside
>   set (h, 'fontsize', 20);
>
>  -> I think we should change "legend location northeastoutside" to "set
> (h, 'location', 'northeastoutside');"
Does Matlab accept this?
legend (h, 'location', 'northeastoutside')

> * matlab/diary.log: ERROR in legend_03: Error using plot
>   Error in color/linetype argument
>
>   x = 0:1;
>   plot (x,x,';I am Blue;', x,2*x, x,3*x,';I am Red;');
>
>   -> guess adding legend keys with ";key;" is a octave addition and not
> supported in ML?
>
> * matlab/diary.log: ERROR in legend_08: Error using handle.handle/set
>   same as legend_01
>
> Other ML error which I hadn't time to check yet:
>
> ERROR in errorbar_03: Error using errorbar (line 48)
> Incorrect number of inputs for property-value pairs.
>
> ERROR in errorbar_04: Error using lower
> Cell elements must be character arrays.
>
> ERROR in errorbar_05: Error using errorbar (line 49)
> Too many input arguments.
>
> ERROR in ezplot3_02: Undefined function or variable "T".
>
> ERROR in loglogerr_01: Undefined function 'loglogerr' for input
> arguments of type 'double'.
Octave-only function

> ERROR in mesh_03: Error using hg.figure/get
> The name '__graphics_toolkit__' is not an accessible property for an
> instance of class 'figure'.
This is an Octave-only feature.  Maybe put the if statement that generates
this in a try/catch block.

> ERROR in patch_10: Error using patch
> Not enough input arguments.
>
> ERROR in plot_08: Error using plot
> Data may not have more than 2 dimensions
>
> ERROR in plot3_01: Error using plot3
> Error in color/linetype argument
>
> ERROR in plot3_02: Error using plot3
> String argument is an unknown option.
>
> ERROR in polar_03: Error using hg.axes/set
> The name 'rtick' is not an accessible property for an instance of class
> 'axes'.
> ->rtick, ttick are octave additions for polar plots
> Printing "polar_04_1.png" ... done
> ERROR in polar_05: Error using hg.axes/set
> The name 'rtick' is not an accessible property for an instance of class
> 'axes'.
> ->rtick, ttick are octave additions for polar plots
> ERROR in rose_01: Index exceeds matrix dimensions.
>
> ERROR in scatter3_03: Error using scatter3 (line 80)
> C must be a single color, a vector the same length as X, or an M-by-3
> matrix.
>
> ERROR in semilogxerr_01: Undefined function 'semilogxerr' for input
> arguments of type 'double'.
Octave-only function.

> ERROR in semilogyerr_01: Undefined function 'semilogyerr' for input
> arguments of type 'double'.
Octave-only function.

> ERROR in stemleaf_01: Undefined function 'stemleaf' for input arguments
> of type 'double'.
>
> ERROR in stemleaf_02: Undefined function 'stemleaf' for input arguments
> of type 'double'.
>
> ERROR in stemleaf_03: Undefined function 'stemleaf' for input arguments
> of type 'double'.
>
> ERROR in stemleaf_04: Undefined function 'stemleaf' for input arguments
> of type 'double'.
All fine.  Matlab doesn't have the stemleaf function.

> ERROR in tetramesh_01: Undefined function 'delaunay3' for input
> arguments of type 'double'.
>
> ERROR in tetramesh_02: Undefined function 'delaunay3' for input
> arguments of type 'double'.
Matlab has deprecated delaunay3 in favor of just delaunay which accepts 2-D
and 3-D data.  Octave hasn't made that switch yet.

> ERROR in copyobj_01: Error using errorbar (line 48)
> Error in color/linetype argument.
>
> ERROR in copyobj_02: Error using copyobj
> Not enough input arguments.
>
> ERROR in printd_01: Undefined function 'printd' for input arguments of
> type 'char'.
>
> ERROR in subplot_03: Error using axis (line 176)
> Unknown command option nolabel
>
> ERROR in subplot_04: Error using axis (line 176)
> Unknown command option labely
> exit

More Octave-only features of axis

--Rik