Re: New package

From: c.
Subject: Re: New package
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 15:01:03 +0200

On 3 Jul 2014, at 13:14, gumlym <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Im interested in contributing by creating a new package. Im developing it
> first on windows, but I plan to do it for linux too. The thing is, in
> windows I have some external code that is compiled into a dll. Is there a
> way to just have the dll and the .lib in the package, so that the
> installation can do mkoctfile myf.cc mylib.lib? Or do I need to do a
> makefile and compile with it? And if so, is there any good example of how to
> do the makefile for an octave package? Do you have any suggestions on
> tutorials I might read, or existing samples?
>
> Thank you!

the simplest and most portable approach is taken in the "nurbs" package where
a set of utility functions are compiled into an object file which is then
linked whenever building a .oct file that needs it.

This causes a bit of unnecessary duplication but greatly simplifies the
construction
of a portable makefile for your package.

if you need to do something more sophisticated you will have to provide a more
detailed example in order for us to help.

c.