Re: Contribution

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Contribution
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 02:20:27 -0500

On 07/04/2014 01:47 AM, Mahyar Abbaspour wrote:
Sorry I don't know what bottom posting is and yes I'm using Gmail.

Bottom posting means posting a reply after the original author's comment so that it maintains the flow of the conversation. It's easier for others to follow, and one can intersperse other hunks of text...

I have cloned developers sources using mercurial and built it successfully.

Like this.  That's something not possible when top posting.

On the topic of contributing, one other thing one can do to become familiar with development practice is to read through some of the more recent changesets:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/

That will give you examples of indentation, spacing, syntax and documentation style. Some changesets are big, some are small, but they are supposed to be atomic, meaning only one bug fix or new feature at a time. Doing so aids tracking down any bugs inadvertently introduced while try to fix some other problem.

Dan