Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 100, Issue 13

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 100, Issue 13
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 21:42:42 -0700

On 07/04/2014 05:26 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Am 04.07.2014 23:39, schrieb Rik:
>> > I revised two of the compare plot functions fairly extensively
>> > (http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/b8934a57e13e).  We are now
>> > running a primitive version of oct2mat within the scripts so I think we can
>> > start coding the demos in the plot directory in ordinary Octave syntax
>> > (endif, double quotes, etc.).
> Great, thank you Rik.
> I also made some changes (not pushed yet but the website is updated) to
> generate a file with error message in catch (for example
> http://tech-chat.de/compare_plot_demos/gnuplot/pie3_01.err) and include
> it in the HTML page.
>
> Should we include other folders which have demo block and create
> graphical output to the comparison? For example "polynomial", "sparse",
> "geometry", "linear-algebra", "image", "general"

I don't think it's critical to test the other directories.  Usually the other directories are testing an algorithm, and then using plot commands from the plot directory to show the result.  They are not directly testing the plot functions.  If we added the other directories we could get some additional confirmation that the plot functions work, but we could also just make sure the plot demos are extensive enough to exercise all the functionality.  With that said, the image directory probably should be tested so I added those in this changeset (http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f9cf5ae6b8a2).

> The generated page now has >900 images and I think we should split the
> page. Any suggestions? We can have an option which breaks the page after
> n images (alphabetical ordered) or should we group directories
> "plot/appearance", "plot/draw", "plot/util" per page?

I like organizing on a per directory basis if possible.

--Rik