Re: Install munge-texi.pl for use by packages?

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Install munge-texi.pl for use by packages?
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 10:31:43 -0700 (PDT)

Olaf Till-2 wrote
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 11:10:53AM -0400, Mike Miller wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 18:07:24 +0200, Olaf Till wrote:
>> > Could munge-texi.pl be an installed component (maybe under a different
>> > name) for use by packages for their documentation?
>> >
>> > Or would it be an additional hindrance for users building packages
>> > with pkg() to assume the presence of Perl on systems like Windows?
>>
>> I would think that depending on Perl to install packages would be
>> undesirable.
>>
>> Or would you propose that the output of munge-texi.pl would be
>> distributed in the package tarball so users installing the package do
>> not need it? That only package maintainers (of packages that have
>> Texinfo manuals) would need it to build the docs before uploading?
>
> I wouldn't propose the latter, since what is done by the package using
> munge-texi.pl would completely be determined by the packages Makefile
> and could only be done before tarball distribution by pre-compiling
> the package.
>
> Regarding depending on Perl, it later occured to me that Windows users
> usually have to use pre-compiled packages anyway, so depending on Perl
> actually should not be an additional problem there ... (?)

That is not quite true IMO.

JWE has plans to incorporate pre-built packages in the (or "a") future
official Windows installer. But I bet that is going to be a subset
comprising mainly the more "stable" packages.

If so, how are users supposed to install packages not included in the binary
installer?

Philip