Re: MXE cross-compiling the default branch

From: Серёжа Плотников
Subject: Re: MXE cross-compiling the default branch
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 20:30:24 +0200

John Donoghue-2 wrote
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 22:29:04 +0200
> From: sergey plotnikov &lt;

> seryozha.plotnikov@

> &gt;
> To: octave maintainers mailing list &lt;

> maintainers@

> &gt;
> Subject: MXE cross-compiling the default branch

> 53B9B190.5050105@

> ? Dear maintainers,
>
> AFAICS, some of you from time to time (cross)compiles tip of default
> branch
> using MXE-Octave. Do you by a chance have some instruction which one may
> use
> to do the same (since instruction from wiki is only suitable for stable
> octave compilation)? I'm going to do it under Ubuntu (13.10 if this
> matters). After some digging into maintainers ML I've ended up with the
> following algo:
> <1>. make a distributive of default branch and compute its sha1sum [cd
> #somewhere#/octave/ && ./bootstrap && ./configure && make all dist &&
> sha1sum octave-4.1.0+.tar.gz] <2>. copy "octave-4.1.0+.tar.gz" to
> "mxe-octave/pkg" folder <3>. change two lines in
> "mxe-octave/src/octave.mk":
> [
> $(PKG)_VERSION  := 4.1.0+
> $(PKG)_CHECKSUM := ## what you get from sha1sum ] <4>. and finally run
> cross-compiler [ cd #somewhere#/mxe-octave/ && PATH=`pwd`/usr/bin:$PATH &&
> autoconf\
>   && ./configure --disable-stable && make nsis-installer ]
>
> Do I miss something or this is supposed to work properly? Last time I
> tried
> it, I also needed to use "--disable-docs" in <4>, but not sure if it may
> work without that option now.
>
> Best regards,
> Sergey
>

> ----
>
> That seems about right - you don't need the PATH= statement
> It shouldn't need the disable docs option as long as the docs were built
> in
> the main repo

In my mxe build tree dating back from March 2014 there's an octave.mk patch
meant to enable inclusion of the docs. Just today that still worked with
today's tip.

I have a brand new mxe clone as well (from yesterday July 6) but haven't
looked if that patch is still there.

BTW you miss a flag on the make nsis-installer line:
​​
JOBS=<n>  where <n> =
nr. of CPU cores + a few. Will save you a lot of time.

Philip

​Thank you Philip!

There are two octave patches is src/ (one for /doc/interpreter/Makefile.in and the second for /libgnu/unistd.in.h). Should I keep them all?

And thank you for JOBS, will certainly use it from now on.
Just a noob q. Why "+ a few"?

S.