Re: Windows Octave compilation

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Windows Octave compilation
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 09:23:21 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: John D
> To: octave-maintainers
> Cc: pr.nienhuis; tomasek.jan
> Date: 2014/7/6, Sun 05:48
> Subject: Re: Windows Octave compilation
>

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 17:51:59 +0200
> From: Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden>
> To: Jan Tom??ek <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Windows Octave compilation
>
> Please do NOT email contributors and developers privately. There are mailing
> lists for questions like these.
>
> <octave-maintainers ML cc'd (I think you'll get answers there)>
>
> Read on below:
>
> Jan Tom??ek wrote:
>>  Hello,
>>  as far as I know you are compiling octave for windows. I'm now trying
>>  to do so as well. I'm trying to build default branch for windows 7
>>  using mingw to be precise.
>>
>>  I'm trying the mxe version (was recommended to me as easy option).
>>  building like this:
>>  /mingw-get install autoconf bash msys-flex gcc gcc-c++ /
>>  /   gcc-fortran gettext msys-m4 msys-make msys-sed /
>>  /   libiconv msys-openssl msys-patch msys-perl msys-libarchive /
>>  /   msys-unzip msys-wget bsdcpio mingw-libgnurx msys-regex/
>>  /autoconf/
>>  /./configure --enable-system-gcc --enable-native-build / /source
>>  tools/set_mxe_env.sh / /make/ / / It works (a bit), but I'm constantly
>>  facing huge number of errors (missing libs, missing dirs). I was
>>  always able to solve that, but it already took me about a week and I'm
>>  still not finish.
>>  Is there something I have done wrong? Is there a better approach to
>>  get octave working under windows ?
>
> So you are trying to build natively (= under Windows)?
>
> I'm cross-building on Linux, that is *way* easier and especially faster.
> My last attempt to make a native build must be over 6-7 months or more ago
> and it failed, so I cannot help you. But there are people on this ML who
> have more experience with native mxe-octave builds.
>
> Philip
>
> ------------------------------
>
> I did compile Octave a few days ago with the native mingw and pushed a few
> changed to mxe-octave to support the build, however, as Philip said - it is
> far easier to cross compile it.
>
> My configure was:  $ ./configure --disable-system-fontconfig
> --disable-stable --enable-native-build
>
> For packages I had at least autoconf bash msys-bison msys-flex gcc gcc-c++
> gcc-fortran gettext msys-m4 msys-make msys-sed libiconv msys-openssl
> msys-patch msys-perl msys-libarchive msys-unzip msys-wget msys-bsdtar
>
> You will also need python for windows installed, and the path set for it,
> and after running configure in the mxe-octave folder,  run 'source
> tools/set-mxe-env.sh'

I have tried native build using Msys+MinGW toolchain (+ ghostscriot+python);

I have met following error:

[download] gnutls
[build]    gnutls

Failed to build package gnutls!
configure: error:
  ***
  *** Libnettle 2.7 was not found.
make[1]: *** [build-only-gnutls] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/e/usr/Tatsu/mingw32work/octave/mxe-octave/mxe-octave'
real    4m18.528s
user    0m25.393s
sys     0m58.869s
[log]      /e/usr/Tatsu/mingw32work/octave/mxe-octave/mxe-octave/log/gnutls

make: ***
[/e/usr/Tatsu/mingw32work/octave/mxe-octave/mxe-octave/installed-packages/gnutls]
 Error 1

This is first time for me to see a keyword nettle.
Should nettle is build before gnutls on native windows?

Tatsuro