Re: quad will be removed in a future release of MATLAB

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: quad will be removed in a future release of MATLAB
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:08:06 +0900 (JST)

>From: Rik
>To: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
>Cc: octave-maintainers
>Date: 2014/7/15, Tue 00:24
>Subject: Re: quad will be removed in a future release of MATLAB
>

>On 07/14/2014 03:44 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>
>Subject:  quad will be removed in a future release of MATLAB
>>From:  Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden>
>>Date:  07/14/2014 12:43 AM
>>To:  "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>>Message:  4
>>
>>This is information. I found that the description for quad in MATLAB online
>>help http://www.mathworks.co.jp/jp/help/matlab/ref/quad.html?lang=en quad
>>will be removed in a future release. Use integral instead. MATLAB ingegral:
>>http://www.mathworks.co.jp/jp/help/matlab/ref/integral.html?lang=en Regards
>>Tatsuro
This is a known change.  Matlab isn't doing away with the functionality, just
renaming the function from quad to integral1.  Most people aren't familiar with
the name numerical quadrature for integration so the quad naming convention
(quad, dblquad, triplequad) hasn't been particularly helpful.

>See the Savannah bug report
    (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=42037).  This has
also been entered as an easy project on the Octave Wiki
(http://wiki.octave.org/Short_projects).

>--Rik
>

>just renaming the function from quad to integral1

Perhaps you know the below but I describe the difference in implementation of
Numerical Integration between MATLAB and octave

There is no integral1 but integral on MATLAB 2014a.
MATLAB integral seem to be not just renaming the function from quad to integral.

q = integral(fun,xmin,xmax,Name,Value)

http://www.mathworks.co.jp/jp/help/matlab/ref/integral.html?lang=en#btdd9y9

And also Octave quad is not equivalent to the Matlab quad.

Matlab quad tries to approximate the integral of function within an error of
1e-6 using recursive adaptive Simpson quadrature.

Octave quad comes from quadpack and it is Numerical integration based on
Gaussian quadrature.
From algorithm point of view MATLAB quad seem to be similar to Octave quadv
that is Numerical integration using an adaptive vectorized Simpson's rule

(http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Functions-of-One-Variable.html#Functions-of-One-Variable)

MATLAB has 'Waypoints' methods that is not implemented in Octave.

The above is I have noticed looking into MATLAB help and Octave Manual

Tatsuro