Re: New package

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: New package
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:37:12 -0400

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 16:19:03 +0200, Guillermo Molini wrote:
>> Writing an oct-file requires you to release it under a GPLv3-compatible
>> license. However, this is not possible if the same code also makes use of
>> another library (like CUDA) which is not compatible with GPLv3. Whether you
>> distribute your code in source form or binary form does not matter. And I
>> don't think that CUDA falls under the system library definition, though you
>> might want to ask FSF about that.
>
> Does it require to have that license if its an "official" package or always?

Any oct-file you distribute must be available under a GPLv3-compatible
license [1].

> If its a problem I could just upload it in my web and let the people decide
> whether they want to use it or not. But I dont want to be doing anything
> illegal.

Uploading it somewhere for people to download is distribution.

> But in any case I dont want to turn my cuda code into an oct-file. The
> oct-file is just the gateway to another library, and it is in that library
> where my code to connect to the cuda API resides.

This is a technicality, the total combined result is a derivative work
of both Octave and CUDA.

> Couldnt I have a different
> license for that? in the GPLv3 exceptions can be added. Cant that be done?

When you are writing your own code, you can make whatever licensing
choices or exceptions you choose to. You have pointed out that other
projects may have made those choices. But if you want to link your
code with Octave, which is what an oct-file is, it must be compatible
with the license of Octave's libraries, which is GPLv3 with no
exceptions.

If your code grants an exception to link with CUDA, then it cannot be
used with Octave. If your code links with Octave, then it cannot link
with CUDA and be distributed.

IANAL, this is only my opinion, etc.

[1]
http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#If_I_write_code_using_Octave_do_I_have_to_release_it_under_the_GPL.3F