Re: Overhaul FLTK toolkit resize/redraw functions

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: Overhaul FLTK toolkit resize/redraw functions
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:51:07 +0200

On 24.07.2014 15:12, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2014, at 3:23 AM, Andreas Weber <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Am 23.07.2014 20:18, schrieb Ben Abbott:
>>
>>> On MacOS X, I can confirm that I'm able to print when the figure window is
>>> minimized and I've built Octave using fltk_overhaul.diff.
>>>
>>> However, line objects no longer print for me. For the example below, I've
>>> attached junk.pdf
>>>
>>> figure (1)
>>> clf ()
>>> plot (rand(3))
>>> print -dpdfwrite junk.pdf
>>>

>> Hi Ben, thanks for testing.
>>
>> Do you see the lines in the plot window? Is this only when called
>> figure(1), clf() before plot or does this also happen when calling
>> plot(rand(3)) alone?
>>
>> Please try:
>> plot(rand(3))
>> print -color -deps junk.eps
>>
>> This bypasses "gs" and stores the ouput of gl2ps directly.
>>
>> Then please try
>> drawnow("eps", "dummy", false, "junk2.eps")
>>
>> Which does basically the same as print -color -deps but doesn't do a
>> resize of the canvas before drawnow which could be a reason for timing
>> issues.
>>
>> If it's a timing issue you could add
>>
>> draw ();
>>
>> in OpenGL_fltk::print just before glps_renderer rend (fp, term);
>>

>> For the MXE build we have a bug report #42534 "No lines when printing
>> plot (fltk)" which perhaps could be related.
>>
>> -- Andy
>>

> The junk.eps file also has missing lines. However, junk2.eps includes the
> lines. Both are attached.  Adding the draw() command didn't fix the problem.

Hi Ben,
I had a look at gl2ps-renderer.cc for the first time and was surprised
that gl2ps itself is able to produce pdf or svg but instead print with
fltk always uses eps as gl2ps output and let ghostscript do the
conversion to pdf.

Nevertheless, could you add some debugging output in
gl2ps-renderer.cc glps_renderer::draw ?

I would output print_cmd (should be "cat > 'out.eps'" when "print
out.eps" is called from octave) and term which should be "epsis2D" for
your plot(rand(3))

Then I would remove GL2PS_SILENT from gl2psBeginPage so that we see
errors and check the return value of gl2psBeginPage. Perhaps gl2ps tries
to tell us whats the problem but nobody listens?

Btw, the draw command suggested before is needless, it's called right
after gl2psBeginPage.

-- Andy