Re: Overhaul FLTK toolkit resize/redraw functions

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: Overhaul FLTK toolkit resize/redraw functions
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:24:31 +0200

Am 27.07.2014 04:00, schrieb Ben Abbott:
> On Jul 26, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Thank you all for your feedback. I've pushed a cset with the
>>> modifications here http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/c9f960441513
>>>
>>> -- Andy
>>
>> I haven't tried to investigate, but the pushed changeset isn't consistent
>> with the diff I was testing earlier in the week.
>>
>>      drawnow ("eps", "dummy", false, "junk2.eps")
>>      sh: dummy: command not found
>>
>> And "junk2.eps" is not created.
>>
>> If this not proper syntax i.e. was something changed on purpose, of is this
>> an unexpected bug?
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> p.s. "print -depsc junk1.eps" works as expected.
>
> I looked over both changesets and see that the drawnow() functionality was
> removed.  However, I don't see where "sh: dummy: command not found" is coming
> from.
>
> Ben

Hi Ben.
In my initial announcement I wrote:

* Add debug_file output for graphics_toolkit fltk so that
  drawnow("eps", "gs", false, "sombrero.eps") is possible.
  This is redundant with "print -color out.eps" and will be removed.

The reason for this is, that I first thought the debug_file addition to
enable saving the output of gl2ps to a file would be useful. Then I
realised that this is already possible with

drawnow("eps", "cat > out.eps")
or
drawnow("epsis2d", "cat > out.eps") for the simpler sort algorithm

and decided to not commit the debug_file change. Do you think it's
useful for MXE (do we have cat there?)? If you can see any use, I'm
pleased to add it again.

Your error message
>>      drawnow ("eps", "dummy", false, "junk2.eps")
>>      sh: dummy: command not found

is because inside OpenGL_fltk::print the param cmd
(which is FILE in drawnow) is used for octave_popen.

So this effectively runs:
octave:7> popen("dummy", "w")
octave:8> sh: 1: dummy: not found

-- Andy