Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 08:15:51 -0400

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 5:06 AM, dkeck <address@hidden> wrote:
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
> [...] people who have been able to replicate Michael's build (I count
> zero), it's seems it's actually much easier to cross-compile Octave from
> GNU/Linux into Windows
>
> Isn't this a great opportunity for you to install a GNU/Linux
> (virtual?) machine and see how the almost impossible becomes feasible?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Zero sounds a little depressing ;)...

It's not zero. I helped a few persons to get a MSVC-based environment that can build octave.

tmacchant wrote
> "Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit"
> What do you want do?
> Do you want to build 64bit binary on 32bit XP?
> Why do you want to do it?
>
> It is  better to try to build on windows 7 directly.
> Windows XP is not suitable octave build because it is horribly slow.
> Tatsuto

Thanks for pointing out that it is so slow. Yes, I would like to compile the
64bit binary on 32bit OS. Why? For the challenge and for education. The more
errors occur the more I should learn.

To answer your previous question, the VCLibs archive I posted was the results of several years of spare-time development (creating my own toolchain and porting every single dependency to MSVC compiler). More recently, I integrated most of that work into MXE and at some point, it was possible to compile octave with MSVC using MXE, though I'm sure it's not the case anymore, I haven't look into it for a while. If you want to give it a try, use "./configure --host=msvc" when configuring MXE.

However, I should point out that all the work I did was targeted at 32-bits platform. If you want to target 64-bits platform, there are some core parts that you'll have to handle yourself, for instance the bridge between gfortran and MSVC.

Michael.