Re: Octave Forge website / missing icon

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Octave Forge website / missing icon
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 09:00:31 +0200

Le 12/08/2014 03:48, Carnë Draug a écrit :
On 11 August 2014 16:13, Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:
Le 11/08/2014 16:41, Carnë Draug a écrit :
Since OF doesn't have a logo, would it be a problem to use the Octave logo ?
(Note that, on http://www.gnu.org/software/octave, the favicon is the gnu head,
not the Octave logo.)
jwe gave permission to use Octave core's icon on the Octave Forge site. We
should be trying to get the two projects closer and not further apart.

I couldn't agree more. In the same spirit of briging to two projects closer, I would love to see them share the same internet domain.

Currently the situation can be a little confusing for newcomers :

* http://octave.org/ --redirects--> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/ [with the GNU favicon] * OF is hosted on http://octave.sourceforge.net/ [with the Octave favicon]

I would find the following much cleaner :

* Octave's site hosted on http://octave.org or http://octave.org/core
    [invisible redirect to http://www.gnu.org/software/octave]
* OF's site hosted on http://forge.octave.org or http://octave.org/forge
    [invisible redirect to http://octave.sourceforge.net]

both with the Octave favicon :)

I've updated the favicon and I guess I should update other appearances of the
sombrebro but that may take longer.

Replacing the sombrero with the Octave logo on OF's homepage will be a problem, since the header currently has a blue background.

Perhaps one elegant way of solving this problem, and at the same time bring Octave and OF a little closer, might be to adopt Octave's CSS for the OF site.

@++
Julien