Re: Octave-Forge website / docs.html

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge website / docs.html
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 17:23:05 +0100

On 12 August 2014 07:19, Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:
> Le 12/08/2014 03:58, Carnë Draug a écrit :
>>>
>>> 2) The last line has a broken link:

>> Retrieved. I am unsure how useful or even up to date that is, though.
>
> I don't know either, but perhaps this (and probably some other things from
> the "Developers Documents" on http://octave.sourceforge.net/docs.html)
> should go to the wiki or Agora instead ?

Probably the wiki. Fell free to create a page with it there and then I
could just link them.

> Another remark : the "docs.html" page currently has a "User Questions"
> section, which points to http://octave.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html, which is
> itself empty except for a link to the Octave FAQ. I would suggest :
>
> 1) Renaming "User Questions" to "Frequently Asked Questions",
>
> 2) Since OF doen't yet have its own FAQ, linking directly from "docs.html"
> to the Octave FAQ and perhaps removing "FAQ.html".

It used to have its own FAQ. But I removed it in favour of the much
more up to date and general FAQ on Octave's wiki. But I'm not sure I
like the idea of the FAQ button, which suggests an internal link,
redirecting the user to another host.

I'd gladly strip Octave Forge of all this content, move it to the wiki
where it is easier to change by everyone, and limit OF to browse
packages and their documentation. But this is way more work than what
I can offer. If people start editing Octave wiki with this info, they
could slowly be retired from the Octave Forge site.

Carnë