Re: How to update @ bookmark with older Mercurial version

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: How to update @ bookmark with older Mercurial version
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 15:54:47 -0400

On Sat, 2014-08-09 at 05:42 -0700, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
> On my box I have Mercurial 2.1.1 (tied to my Linux distro).

You can easily update Mercurial, since it's just a Python package. Use
pip, a standard Python package manager, and do

    pip install --user --upgrade mercurial

which will install a newer hg to ~/.local/bin. Just put that in your
$PATH before /usr/bin/.

If you don't have pip, just do `easy_install --prefix=~/.local pip` first.

> So my question is: how can I push and advance the @ bookmark with Mercurial
> v. 2.1.1? Or should I just not bother and push anyway?

You can do "hg book @ --force" to advance it. Newer hg just removes
the requirement to use --force for advancing a bookmark. Also, the
bookmark should advance as you create new commits if it's active. If
you neglect to advance the bookmark, this is a minor problem. If it's
too much of a problem for you, don't bother about it, and someone else
can advance it instead.

- Jordi G. H.