Re: Octave-Forge website / docs.html

From: c.
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge website / docs.html
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 16:56:44 +0200

On 13 Aug 2014, at 16:22, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:

>  That's all written in Octave and string manipulation
> with Octave is not fun.

Actually it has become much better since Rik's work on regexp functions,
which came after Søren's implementation. So generate_html could be simplified
a lot if someone would like to work on it.

> This all assumes you can install all packages in any system. And run the
> demos successfully. Can you install the windows package on a mac or Linux?
> Can you handle all dependencies of all packages successfully? What about the
> packages that disable some of its functionalities instead of simply refusing
> to install? How will the demos of those functions appear? What if the version
> of one of its dependency is wrong and gives wrong results?

That's a good point that I had missed. As the process for generating html docs
includes running the demos, you need a WORKING installation of ALL packages in
order to produce the html docs and that's difficult (if at all possible) to get
on a single system.

c.