Re: Where to distribute auxiliary data files?

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Where to distribute auxiliary data files?
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 13:17:25 -0500

On 08/19/2014 11:48 AM, Rik wrote:
On 08/19/2014 08:51 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 08/18/2014 04:29 PM, Rik wrote:
8/18/14

Matlab comes with a number of data files which they use repeatedly in their
documentation.  Some of the data sources are freely available.  One of
these is the 3-D data for a penny which comes from NIST.  This file has
been made available to Octave, but where should it be placed?

Possible choices:
1) examples/ directory.  Currently this holds only code samples for the
External Code Interface (.oct, .mex files)

"examples" gets one's attention, but it is sort of too broad and
encompassing.

Then again, I'm not sure how builders think of these .oct and .mex
files.  Say someone has a patch which contains a set of .oct or .mex
files.  Might they put them in the "examples" directory?

I was thinking of subdividing the examples/ directory into

examples/code
examples/data

and exporting the contents of the data directory to $OCTDATADIR during
installation.

The installation is prior to what the package maintainers archive so that the data goes along with the binaries? Sounds fine.

Dan