Re: classdef is pretty good now (inputParser implemented in core). What

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: classdef is pretty good now (inputParser implemented in core). What now? How to document classdef classes?
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 07:36:04 -0700

On 08/21/2014 11:27 PM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
Richard Crozier wrote
On 21/08/14 15:23, Carnë Draug wrote:
Hi

I have implemented what I believe to be the first classdef class for
Octave [1]. Kudos to Michael Goffioul for working on it. It seems to
work well for inputParser which opens a whole lot of low-hanging
"classdef" fruits that can now be implemented in Octave. I'll guess we
should start implementing those so we can test classdef.

But one the things that is also needed, is a way to document this
classes? 'help classname' will work fine but only give the first help
text block (constructor?) but what about its other methods? Using
'help class.method' will give nothing. And print_usage() does not yet
work from within methods and how will it? Should we have a giant help
text block at the start or can we somehow start having the help next
to the methods and properties? Matlab seems to create it from
multiple comments through the file, doxygen and javadoc style [2].

Also, we need a consensus for the names used on the @deftypefn
macros when using classdef, as they're not function files anymore.

Carnë

[1] http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ff820f92cbb5
[2]
http://www.mathworks.co.uk/help/matlab/matlab_prog/create-help-for-classes.html

I have been testing classdef for a while now, and am also grateful for
all the work that's gone into it. However, with the Octave build I'm,
using, you cannot set a debug break point in a class method. If this
isn't already implemented, I think it would be important to do so
quickly if people are going to start adding classdef classes to Octave
What is needed / how difficult would it be to get I/O to .mat files for
classdef objects?

Philip