Re: Email addresses for package authors and maintainers

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Email addresses for package authors and maintainers
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 11:31:24 +0100

On 1 September 2014 17:42, Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> For most (all ?) Octave-Forge packages, the "package_box_contents" container
> looks like this:

> authors</td></tr>
> <address@hidden></td></tr>
>
> As you can see, the email address is included in the source but not
> displayed, because <...> is interpreted as an (incorrect) HTML tag.
>
> There are several ways for fixing this:
>
> a) Replace <...> by &lt;...&gt; to display the email address.
>
> b) Remove the email address from "package_box_contents".
>
> c) If there are mixed opinions about this, the generate_html package could
> also include an option for displaying the email addresses.

I'd go with option (a) and have the generate_html package escape the <
and > correctly. The package should not be making those decisions, it
should simply create that page based on what the maintainer wrote on
the DESCRIPTION file. If the maintainer does not want an email there,
he can simply remove it from the package's DESCRIPTION file.

Carnë