Re: Bison/flex version upgrade doesn't reconstruct oct-parse.cc

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Bison/flex version upgrade doesn't reconstruct oct-parse.cc
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 01:24:09 -0400

On 09/09/2014 01:06 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

Should we at least remove the family of oct-parse.cc files with 'make
clean'?

No, because then people who get the tar file distributions of the sources would be required to have bison and flex installed. The GNU coding standards say they shouldn't have to have them.

If you want to clean up everything such that maintainer tools will be required to rebuild things, then use the maintainer-clean target instead of just clean.

In any case, I believe the rules for running bison and flex are generated by automake, so if you think it is desirable to change them, you should bring it up with the automake maintainers. But I doubt there would be much interest in changing the behavior or the coding standards.