Re: documentation style question

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: documentation style question
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 09:01:52 -0700 (PDT)

John W. Eaton wrote
> I'd like to be consistent in the way we document functions like grid
> that have a number of different options.
>
> In older versions of Octave, we had
>
> ## @deftypefn  {Function File} {} grid (@var{arg})
> ## @deftypefnx {Function File} {} grid ("minor", @var{arg2})
> ## @deftypefnx {Function File} {} grid (@var{hax}, @dots{})
> ## Force the display of a grid on the plot.
> ## The argument may be either @code{"on"}, or @code{"off"}.
> ## If it is omitted, the current grid state is toggled.
> ## ...
>
> so we showed a small number of different forms and explained the valid
> values for the arguments.
>
> Now we have
>
> ## @deftypefn  {Command} {} grid
> ## @deftypefnx {Command} {} grid on
> ## @deftypefnx {Command} {} grid off
> ## @deftypefnx {Command} {} grid minor
> ## @deftypefnx {Command} {} grid minor on
> ## @deftypefnx {Command} {} grid minor off
> ## @deftypefnx {Function File} {} grid (@var{hax}, @dots{})
> ## Control the display of plot grid lines.
> ##
> ## The function state input may be either @qcode{"on"} or @qcode{"off"}.
> ## If it is omitted, the current grid state is toggled.
>
> so we are enumerating all the options.  The following description no
> longer seems to apply (what input state?) so it seems like it should be
> edited.
>
> Do people prefer the current way of listing all the possibilities?  I'm
> working on adding the zoom function and if documented this way, there
> will be 10 lines enumerating the different ways it can be called.

As to on-screen help (help <function>): the more compact the better.  10
lines showing how a function can be called looks like overkill.

But the help text is also used to construct the manual / on-line
documentation, and I suppose users wouldn't mind, or might want/expect, some
more detail there (I would).

Philip