Re: Problems with gnulib-hg repo

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Problems with gnulib-hg repo
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:13:51 -0400

On Tue, 2014-09-23 at 22:02 +0200, Stefan Husmann wrote:

> I have problems with checking out the gnulib hg repo and, not
> familiar with mercurial, am not able to fix them.
>
>  ==> Making package: octave-hg 19098.4591a1238ee0-1 (Tue Sep 23 21:58:39 CEST
> 2014)
> ==> Checking runtime dependencies...
> ==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
> ==> Retrieving sources...
>   -> Updating gnulib git repo...
> Fetching origin

What is this? This doesn't look like anything I've ever done with Octave.

> updating to bookmark @
> cloning subrepo gnulib-hg from /home/haawda/sources/octave/gnulib-hg
> abort: unknown revision '8728cf80b7d84b0ac401debac5b37217aac0d2e2'!

So Octave is trying to clone the gnulib repository from a local clone
instead of from Savannah. This local clone is missing the following
revision from Savannah:

    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/gnulib-hg/rev/8728cf80b7d8

I assume you've done `hg pull` on /home/haawda/sources/octave/.
However, this by itself does *not* automatically also pull the
subrepo, so your local clone's subrepo is out of date. In order to
update the subrepo, you also have to do `hg update` on the superrepo
or go into the subrepo and manually pull do `hg pull` on it.

Once your local superrepo and subrepo are up to date, you can clone
them locally.

... and it is problems like this one and others that make me think
this whole subrepo idea was bad and we should convert our repository
to not use a subrepo at all.

- Jordi G. H.