Re: README file is out-of-date

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: README file is out-of-date
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:36:53 -0400

On 09/24/2014 12:34 AM, Hrishikesh Bakshi wrote:
Hi all,
The README file claims: "The file BUGS explains the recommended
procedure for reporting bugs or contributing patches." There is no
such file in the repository. May be we could information from:
http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/how-to-write-a-patch-for-octave/
?

The BUGS file is generated, so will be present after you build Octave. These files are intended for people who are building Octave from tarball releases, not from the Mercurial development sources.

Also, the INSTALL file is in the directory 'gnulib-hg/doc'. The README
file mentions the INSTALL file but doesn't specify this path.

Thanks, I changed that to say INSTALL.OCTAVE, which is probably the best place for someone starting from a tarball release to start looking for information about installing Octave. The INSTALL file from the gnulib-hg/doc, which is linked to the top-level directory when you run the bootstrap script, is the generic autotools INSTALL file.

I just started using octave and hope to contribute to the development.
Hrishi

You might start by reading etc/HACKING.