Re: Single/Double precision equality

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Single/Double precision equality
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 13:19:53 -0500

On 09/27/2014 12:58 PM, Rik wrote:
On 09/27/2014 10:41 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
[snip]
Maybe the easiest thing is to concede to arbitrariness and in the
documentation add a third column, an "operator evaluation" column:

       Mixed Operation     Evaluate      Storage
      double OP single      single       single
      double OP integer     double       integer
      double OP char        double       double
      double OP logical     double       double
      single OP integer     single       integer
      single OP char        single       single
      single OP logical     single       single

I like this expansion of the table.  Could you make a cset for it?

Sure, let me think about the wording and I'll post something on the patch list and let you know.

I suppose Octave could allow these kind of operations as long as the
priorities were worked out.  For example, which class would the result of
uint8 + int8 be stored in?  And similarly for uint8 + uint16?

Hmm, given the following result:

octave:38> uint8(3) + 3.3
ans = 6
octave:39> class(ans)
ans = uint8

I'd say this would be the thing to do:

octave> uint8(3) + uint16(254)
ans = 255
octave> class(ans)
ans = uint8

For the signed/unsigned mixture, I don't know.

Dan