Re: Octave Interpreter

From: c.
Subject: Re: Octave Interpreter
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 15:03:39 +0200

On 6 Oct 2014, at 14:39, Stefan Seefeld <address@hidden> wrote:

> That might be a good starting point, though I think ultimately we need
> something more expressive and robust. I'm notably thinking of an
> architecture for managing multiple "engine" processes that run octave
> instances but that read their input not from an interactive tty, but
> some socket. This would allow multiple engines to be orchestrated via an
> MPI Communicator (doing data-parallel computation), or using some other
> paradigm such as task-level parallelism.

I'm not really sure I understand what you are talking about.

I'd just recommend, before you start implement anything new, you
look at options that are already available for parallel computing
and interprocess communication in Octave and Octave Forge, for example:

 http://octave.sourceforge.net/parallel/
 http://octave.sourceforge.net/sockets/
 http://octave.sourceforge.net/mpi

and if those packages do not have the features you are looking for,
you start by implementing those missing features that you personally need.

> I think the ipython project has very useful material for this:
> http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/2/parallel/parallel_intro.html

looks interesting but I'm not really sure how I would use that myself.
Personally I'd rather stick to standard APIs for parallel algorithms like OpenMP
and MPI if possible.

>    Stefan
c.