Re: struct array output from pkg

From: Rik
Subject: Re: struct array output from pkg
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 08:29:16 -0700

On 10/06/2014 04:26 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
> On 6 October 2014 05:13, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 10/04/2014 01:00 PM, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Actually, I'd arguee that it should be fixed so that it returns a
>>> struct array, rather than a cell array of scalar structs but I'm
>>> afraid that may break old code.
>>
>> If you want to make a big change, the 3.X to 4.X branch jump would be
>> a good time to do it.
>
> I thought that only GUI changes were going to be allowed on the 4.0, that
> everything else should go into 4.2.

Yes, in general.  My reasoning here was that a major version change, say
from 3 to 4, would not necessarily preserve API formats and people would
understand that all of their packages might need to be re-built in moving
from 3.X to 4.X.  Moving from 4.0 to 4.2, however, one might expect a lower
level of change and thus not complete invalidation of their installed
packages.  But if you're interested in looking at this, then I think you
get to make the call about when it is introduced.

--Rik