Static analysis using Coverity

From: PrasannaKumar Muralidharan
Subject: Static analysis using Coverity
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 23:39:28 +0530

Hi All,

I have registered with Coverity to scan Octave code. Coverity is not an open source software so I am not sure how much it is welcome here. Anyway I am providing the status and my observations.

Results and Observations:
Coverity reports 225 issues. Defect density is 0.38 (i.e., 0.38 defects for every 1000 lines of code). Industry standard defect density for good quality software is 1.0 which shows the Octave's code quality is pretty good. Note that the 225 reported issues includes many false positives. I guess the actual defect density will be less than 0.38.

I went through around 25 reported issues and found only one real issue. I don't have much idea of Coverity's results. So I am not sure how many are false positives and how many are real bugs.

I will be going through the reported issues and submitting patches if there are some issues. But it is going to be slow as I have to find false positives and discard them.

People with good exposure to Octave code can easily find out false positives. It may reduce the time required to fix real issues. Interested people can request for access here.

Hope this helps,
PrasannaKumar