Re: Becoming a Forge Developer

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Becoming a Forge Developer
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 22:36:13 +0100

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 6:17 PM, JD Walsh <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi! I'm a PhD candidate in Mathematics at Georgia Tech, and right now my
> thesis work involves a LOT of Octave programming. I came across a problem
> with the `cmdscale' function in the Octave-Forge Statistics package and
> uploaded a patch for it (Patch 8559 at
> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8559). A copy of the submitted patch file is
> attached.
>
> I'd like to make more ongoing contributions: if nothing else, when I was
> preparing `cmdscale' for submission I noticed that the closely-related
> MatLab functions `mdscale' and `procrustes' are both missing from
> Octave-Forge-Statistics. The online info about becoming a Forge Developer
> said I should post a request here, but the page is a little outdated (the
> references to `svn' on that page made cloning the current source
> ``interesting'').
>
> Am I in the right place? If so, I hope you like the submission (and my
> SourceForge ID is the same one I'm using on Savannah: jdwalsh). If I'm in
> the wrong place, can anyone tell me where to submit this request?
>
> Either way, thanks for all your great work on Octave!
>
> --JD

JD, Welcome to Octave.

You are definitely in the right place. And indeed some of our pages
haven't seen the update wave since we changed to mercurial.
I assume you are able to clone the repository, right?

If you plan to submit patches form time to time, you do not need push
permission. Just send your patches to the tracker in savannah.

If you plan to do a single time submission of functions, Octave Agora
would be the right place (plus a mail to these list).

Now, if you plan to submit your functions and you commit to maintain
them, then I think our benevolent ruler (Carnë Draug) will give you
push permission.

In any case give us some time to go through your patch.

Thanks again, and welcome!