Re: Becoming a Forge Developer

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Becoming a Forge Developer
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:02:24 +0000

On 29 October 2014 14:48, JD Walsh <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On 27 October 2014 18:17, JD Walsh <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Hi! I'm a PhD candidate in Mathematics at Georgia Tech, and right now my
>> > thesis work involves a LOT of Octave programming. I came across a
>> > problem
>> > with the `cmdscale' function in the Octave-Forge Statistics package and
>> > uploaded a patch for it (Patch 8559 at
>> > https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8559). A copy of the submitted patch
>> > file is
>> > attached.
>> >
>> > I'd like to make more ongoing contributions: if nothing else, when I was
>> > preparing `cmdscale' for submission I noticed that the closely-related
>> > MatLab functions `mdscale' and `procrustes' are both missing from
>> > Octave-Forge-Statistics. The online info about becoming a Forge
>> > Developer
>> > said I should post a request here, but the page is a little outdated
>> > (the
>> > references to `svn' on that page made cloning the current source
>> > ``interesting'').
>> >
>> > Am I in the right place? If so, I hope you like the submission (and my
>> > SourceForge ID is the same one I'm using on Savannah: jdwalsh). If I'm
>> > in
>> > the wrong place, can anyone tell me where to submit this request?
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> yes, you're at the right place. The developers page on the OF website [1]
>> was
>> written some time ago and it's only relevant for the few packages that are
>> still on the old svn repository.  Nowadays, the only thing that matters is
>> that
>> the released tarball is a valid package which is defined in the Octave
>> manual.
>>
>> With the move to a distributed VCS we don't give commit access to new
>> users
>> as easily.  A patch is just as good and you can attach it to the tracker
>> for
>> review or you can host your clone wherever you want and make pull
>> requests.
>> With time, if the package maintainers requests it, we can give you push
>> access.
>>
>> Carnë
>>
>> [1] http://octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html
>
> Thank you, Carnë. I can work with that. :-)
>
> I noticed that you added the package maintainer to the cc-list for the
> `cmdscale' patch. In the future, when I upload a new patch, should I cc the
> package maintainer, write to this list, or both?

If you have the email contact of the package maintainer you can put his email
on the CC list when filling the bug. But don't worry too much about it. And if
you are filling a bug report, you don't have to bring it up on the mailing list.

By the way, I have updated the developer instructions on the website [1].
As a newcomer, please let me know if there's anything that does not
make sense. You can also submit patches for it ;) [2]

[2] http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/project-web