plan for google-summer code

From: Daniel Liu
Subject: plan for google-summer code
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:33:06 +0800

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to the list, but I have been using Octave for a long time, just for my own homework and school project.

My current PhD project here in NYU involvs coding in C/ C++. I would like to start spending my spare time in

a) contributing to the open-source communitiy in general here in long term on the hand, on the other, I would like to
b) take part in the google summer code with any possible Octave project, for I noticed there were some very successful Octave project done in the past.

So I want to know how I shall start? And what kind of knowledge/background is required to contribute to Octave develpment, and for the google summer 2015, respectively? Do I need a team for joining the google summer?

A little about my background, I am still learning/improving programming skills; I know C/C++ in the level of school project, but no real industry experience. As a user, I have been on linux/mac system for more ten years and I am familiar with vi, gdb, make, awk, grep, etc utilities.

Any comments, suggestions, and advice would be highly appreciated.

Daniel