Re: Becoming a Forge Developer

From: JD Walsh
Subject: Re: Becoming a Forge Developer
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 10:34:51 -0400

By the way, I have updated the developer instructions on the website [1].
As a newcomer, please let me know if there's anything that does not
make sense. You can also submit patches for it ;) [2]

Carnë

[1] http://octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html
[2] http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/project-web

I decided to take you up on your suggestion of patching the developers page. :-)

Having just gone through the process of submitting a patch for the first time, it seemed like there was a lot of information relevant to the process which wasn't on any single page, but was scattered across multiple Octave and Octave Forge sources. I combined everything I found helpful and added it. I submitted my changes as patch #8562 on Savannah [3]. A copy of the patch is also attached.

I've worked with Git before, but I haven't used Git to patch Octave Forge, so it's possible that those projects are looking for a different method of patch submission. If you notice any specific errors in the Git procedures, please let me know. The same goes for other errors, of course. I'm happy to make any necessary corrections or improvements.

--JD

[3] https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?8562