Re: A case for C++11 in Octave

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: A case for C++11 in Octave
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:50:14 -0500

On Mon, 2014-11-17 at 14:07 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> I was pleasantly surprised that there were no problems building
> Octave but when I tried to build packages I encountered failure for
> the image package because it uses some c++11 features in one file,
> union-find.h++. I'm not sure of the reasons why c++11 features are
> really needed in that file, but it is annoying to find that building
> with the native compiler won't work.

Yeah, my bad. I could get rid of the C++11 in the bwlabeln code. I
figured I had more leeway in an OF package than in Octave itself, and
it just looked better to do this with C++11. Note I also used my own
personal preference for filename extensions, .h++.

As I recall, the only nontrivial thing I needed was unordered_map, but
that's already in C++03 + TR1. I could patch it.

> Consider that I found this annoying,

If it's a big deal, I could go and patch this file to not use C++11. I
would also have to come up with autoconf checks to figure out where
unordered_map is.

- Jordi G. H.