Re: F77 vs. F90 in Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: F77 vs. F90 in Octave
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 16:47:09 -0500

On 11/24/2014 03:52 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

I also like:

5) Stick with what we have today, compile all Fortran files with
$(F77) as if they were valid F77, and deal with problems in Jaroslav's
code if any bugs are ever encountered and reported.

Yes, this seems reasonable to me.

As I recall, the reason for editing the list during bootstrap is to avoid using g77 on systems that still have it installed, but for which system libraries like lapack have been compiled with gfortran. Cases like that lead to linking problems, or mixing of calling conventions for some functions (complex arguments/return values, I think).

I agree with Mike that specifying our own list is the wrong thing to do.