Re: Installation of 3.8.2 on Mac

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Installation of 3.8.2 on Mac
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 14:00:26 -0500

On Thu, 2014-11-27 at 10:00 +0100, c. wrote:
> I don't know whether cross-compiling for OSX is possible
> technically, but it is not legally possible AFAIK.

Indeed, the main obstacle is Apple's licensing; gcc already has the
right infrastructure in place if it can get the right libraries.
That's actually one of the nicest features of gcc that LLVM lacks: so
much more cross-platform portability.

MinGW solved this problem essentially by providing a free replacement
for enough of the Windows API to make this feasible. There appears to
be no real drive towards this goal for Mac OS X. I suspect that's
because for Windows the driving factor was the desire to have enough
of a Unix system to build a lot of free software for it. This is
already (more or less) provided by Mac OS X, so there's less
motivation.

- Jordi G. H.