Re: [MXE MinGW] miscompiled gcc for --enable64?

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: [MXE MinGW] miscompiled gcc for --enable64?
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 04:33:03 -0800 (PST)

Philip Nienhuis wrote

>> With a cross-built mxe-octave with 64-bit indexing (--enable64), building
>> OF packages fails because g++, gcc and c++ all bail out with the message:
>>
>> "C:\Programs\.....\bin\g++.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
>> (of course, similarly for c++.exe and gcc.exe)
>> <snip>
> Update:
> ----------
> Begins to look like a tar / gzip error.
> Copying the offending c++.exe etc. verbatim from the Linux cross-build box
> to Windows into some subdir and adding a few required .dlls
> (libstc++6.dll,  libiconv-2.dll and libgcc_s_seh-1.dll, allow me to run
> them w/o start errors.
>
> So perhaps making a .tgz archive isn't the best solution for mxe-octave
> cross-builds for Windows.

(Oops, wrong button...)

Indeed, I found making a .tgz archive ("make tar-dist") for a cross-built
binary isn't the optimal procedure for MinGW binaries.
But the fact that I didn't know is primarily my own fault:
Perusing binary-dist-rules.mk shows there's a "make zip-dist" option as
well; I simply didn't know that until now.

At the windows side, mingw / msys tar doesn't know how to process a .tgz
archive (or I don't know the proper options).  I used 7-zip to unpack the
archive, but apparently 7zip is not able to correctly unpack all files
(although .tar.gz and .tgz are explicitly supported. I think I'll file a bug
report there).

Sorry for the noise.

Philip