Re: discuss [bug #43305] Hamming etc. windows are wrong

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: discuss [bug #43305] Hamming etc. windows are wrong
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 13:58:49 -0500

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Doug Stewart <address@hidden> wrote:
Rik asked me to start a discussion here about how to fix this bug.

 The real question is:   Should we do as Matlab did or should we make the default
 be the more mathematically correct method.

 I am arguing for the mathematically correct method as the default.
 ( I will be happy even if I loose  the argument)

I will post my argument in the next chapter :-)

Comment are welcome.

 The technical reason that our window functions are wrong was
 given by the original poster, Oscar Ruitt.

  The Wikipedia page  down at
       Filter design:
       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_function
 Shows 3 different methods
   -- Matlab symmetric
   -- Matlab Periodic
   -- DFT-even

 DFT-even is what I have been thinking as the "correct"
 way to go.

  I dont have Matlab so, would someone run
 hann(8) on matlab and see if the first number is non zero?

Octave gives
hann(8)
ans =

   0.00000