Re: Conflicting start-up options: --eval and script.m

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Conflicting start-up options: --eval and script.m
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 10:34:31 -0500

On 01/03/2015 10:11 PM, Rik wrote:
On 01/03/2015 09:57 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

getopt doesn't seem to re-order the arguments on my machine, but more
importantly it breaks off option processing when it detects the first
non-option argument.  Instead, any further arguments are passed as input
arguments (ARGV) to the script mentioned.  This is actually pretty
important because you want to be able to call a script and give it
arguments like so:

octave -q -f data_processing_script.m FILE1.dat FILE2.dat FILE3.dat

Ah, OK, I was experimenting with an example program from the glibc documentation which uses the ":" character in the list of option characters and with that, it does appear to permute, but without it does not.

To add processing for

octave -q -f foo.m bar.m

seems difficult and probably easier to just ask people to combine foo.m and
bar.m into foobar.m and run that.

OK.