Re: error when installing io package

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: error when installing io package
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:13:05 -0600

On 01/14/2015 02:25 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

That said, I vagely remember having read about this error message a while
back but IIRC it wasn't for the io package. Again IIRC, it had something to
do with permissions.
Could it be that the io package had been used just before you installed
it,so that the binary functions had been locked by the OS? That is an issue
I sometimes encounter, even after "pkg unload".

I can check again tomorrow, but I don't think I used any io package functions. I was trying to do an initial install of the io package just after installing a 4.1.0+ binary from the mxe-octave generated installer.

BTW the reason that PKG_ADD is moved by post_install.m is to avoid io
package functions being invoked before the io package (esp. the m-file
subdir) was fully loaded / added to the load path. This is outlined in
detail in the comments of post_install.m itself.

How can chk_spreadsheet_support be executed while still loading directories? Can you provide a test case that demonstrates that problem? It seems to me that if that is possible, then something else is wrong with the way PKG_ADD files are handled and we should look for a solution that problem instead of moving PKG_ADD files around in post_install scripts.