Re: generate_html breaks documentation encoding

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: generate_html breaks documentation encoding
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 08:33:10 +0100

Le 15/01/2015 23:13, Oliver Heimlich a écrit :
The m-files are encoded in UTF-8 and most documentation strings contain non-ASCII characters.

The generate_html command somehow tries to convert the document strings from iso-8859-1 to utf-8 and labels the result as iso-8859-1 in the html header. This is wrong in at least two ways and the resulting html page is broken.

Hello Oliver,

About the "iso-8859-1" in the HTML header: it depends on the option structure that you pass to generate_package_html (). If you use the "octave-forge" style, then yes, it is automatically labelled as "iso-8859-1"; see get_html_options ().

[everyone: I can add an optional field in the structure that would allow the package manager to specify the encoding that he wants. Any thoughts about that? Does it sound like a good idea?]

About the fact that "The generate_html command somehow tries to convert the document strings": I don't know about that. Can you provide a tarball for your package and give me a specific example of this conversion?

[everyone: does anybody know about this conversion? whee does this happen in the package?]

@++
Julien