Useful .hgrc addition

From: Rik
Subject: Useful .hgrc addition
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 21:22:48 -0800

1/23/15

All,

We've been using Mercurial for quite some time, but I just stumbled on to
an .hgrc configuration option that is particularly useful for Octave.  The
lines

[diff]
showfunc = true

in a .hgrc file will annotate the output of 'hg diff' with the function
name as well as the line number where the changes were made.

The commit message convention is to describe the file that was changed
along with the function that was changed.  For example

* octave_file.cc (function_name): What was changed.

Previously this was a chore to fill out because it required loading the
modified file, scrolling up from the modification to find the function
affected, and then copying all the information into the commit message.
Now it is simpler.  I use

hg diff > diffs
edit diffs
hg ci

And then copy and paste information from the diffs file into the commit window.

Cheers,
Rik