Re: replace symbolic package on Octave-Forge

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: replace symbolic package on Octave-Forge
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 21:15:26 +0000

On 7 January 2015 at 22:01, Colin Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 07/01/15 20:37, Carnë Draug wrote:
>> If you are replacing the old symbolic package, It makes sense to me
>> that you continue its repository, i.e., remove all the current files
>> and replace them with your code.  Since you are using git this either
>> means converting the current repository to git or you adopting
>> mercurial.
>
> Ok, probably I'll convert it to git.
>
>> But let's wait until next week to give time for people to give their
>> opinion (and I am also a bit too busy the next couple of days).
>
> No problem, I'm not in a hurry.

No one commented on this so I guess it is fine.

I went ahead with this and converted the old hg repo to git and then merged
it with yours.  You can pull this merge from the octave forge clone:

  https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/symbolic/

or from my own github:

  https://github.com/carandraug/octsympy

My merge commit does not add any new code or files (my only attribution
is a commit message [1] on an empty commit) but does append all the commits
of the old symbolic package (attributed to the original comitters).  This
seems to be the best for archive purposes.

I understand you want to keep a clone on github and that is perfectly fine
but I will ask that you keep the clone on the Octave Forge project up to
date, at least before a new release.  You should now have push permissions
to all Octave Forge repositories.

Also, the last release of Octave's symbolic package was 1.1.0 so when you
make a new release of it could it be 2.0.0 (instead of octsympy 0.1.4)?

Carnë

[1] https://github.com/carandraug/octsympy/commit/0ac6fe2