Re: Release Ideas

From: Michael Godfrey
Subject: Re: Release Ideas
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:48:58 -0500

On 01/27/2015 07:35 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 01/27/2015 06:40 PM, Michael Godfrey wrote:

Unless there is something blocking default, why not just make one
release (default already has all the
GUI code).

We deprecated some things in 3.8 that have already been removed from default but not gui-release. Normally we have one release that still contains the deprecated functions but warns if they are used. Skipping the gui-release release and going straight to default would break this promise that we normally make. Not a huge thing, I suppose, but something we should consider if we decide to just release default.

jwe

That is a concern. But, it might make sense to amend the deprecated functions rule to 1 release or some
substantial length of time since the deprecated announcement.
A compromise might be to make the GUI  branch at the point it is closed
available for download for anyone who depends on the deprecated functions, but go ahead with the "official" release of the default. This would make the benefits of the default available and close down
the 2 versions under development problem.

I am confident that practically all users will be happier with the default branch.

Michael