Re: Release Ideas

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Release Ideas
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 13:19:23 +0000

On 27 January 2015 at 21:23, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> It's been a long time since 3.8.0.
>
> What's required for the gui-release branch to be released?  My list really
> only has
>
> [...]
>
> What show-stopping bugs need to be fixed on either branch before we make a
> release?

I though that the plan for the 4.0.0 release was also to distribute official
binaries for Windows and Mac.  Is this still part of the plan?  I was under
the impression that this was going well for Windows at least.

On 28 January 2015 at 00:35, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 01/27/2015 06:40 PM, Michael Godfrey wrote:
>
>> Unless there is something blocking default, why not just make one
>> release (default already has all the
>> GUI code).
>
> We deprecated some things in 3.8 that have already been removed from default
> but not gui-release.  Normally we have one release that still contains the
> deprecated functions but warns if they are used.  Skipping the gui-release
> release and going straight to default would break this promise that we
> normally make.

Making two separate releases with a small time interval between them just to
keep this promise will be the same as breaking it.  I feel that the promise
behind the two releases is about the time.  Doing this is just breaking the
"spirit of the law".

I still think that merging the gui-release and default into a single release
may be a good idea.  We can just bring back the removed functions from the
history and remove them on the following release instead.

Carnë