Re: GUI release

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GUI release
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:23:25 -0600

On 01/28/2015 11:09 AM, Richard Crozier wrote:

On 28/01/15 16:58, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 01/27/2015 09:20 PM, Rik wrote:

<snip>

Maybe as a first step, we should disable the workspace view update when
not at the top level. Displaying the workspace info for functions could
be made optional, but disabled by default.

jwe

Can you make it only update when an octave prompt is being presented to
the user? I.e. only when debugging or doing interactive work?

In general, there's no reason to see the variables changing when
running. It serves no purpose. The workspace view should surely be for
interactive work, not when you've set off a long computation and have
gone off to have a cup of tea or whatever?

I prefer this too. And if the user does want the workspace to update as computations go by, perhaps they could just use "pause 0".

It might be nice to have the workspace variables grayed if, say, the worker process is taking more than 1/2 second to run. (If the workspace variables are temporarily grayed in all computations, it would result in some annoying flashing of the variables for "instant" computations.)

Dan