Re: Release Ideas

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Release Ideas
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:24:32 -0500

On 01/28/2015 02:50 PM, John Swensen wrote:

I know it is a cop-out, but is it really too hard to ask people to go to a
terminal and type:

Yeah, I suspect it is.

ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

and then type:
brew tap homebrew/science
brew install gfortran
brew update && brew upgrade
brew install gcc
brew install octave

I know this is a bit harder, but for a "unsupported" platform it is still quite easy. The
only issue is that for the homebrew recipe that the gui is not the default and you have to run
"octave --force-gui"

How long does this process take for someone who is installing everything for the first time?

Even if you scripted this and put a pretty GUI "one-click" installer around it, I suspect most users would find it annoying that it takes possibly hours to install while the system is quite busy.

Also, if it is this simple to build Octave from homebrew, why do we see so many people complaining about how hard it is to build Octave for OS X?

Finally, if it is this simple, then why hasn't anyone turned the resulting binaries into a simple installer? Is that part difficult?