Re: Release Ideas

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Release Ideas
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:42:17 -0500

On Jan 29, 2015, at 3:57 PM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jan 29, 2015, at 10:40 AM, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

On 28 Jan 2015, at 22:00, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

I've done that myself. I even modified it to install as a relocatable bundle ... but it wasn't an easy task. If we don't make it relocatable, is there a way to enure there isn't a conflict?

The 3.8.0/3.8.2 .dmg/.mpkg distribution on Source Forge installs a full Macports tree in /usr/local/octave/<version number>
and a .app launcher in /Applications. The .app launcher can be moved anywhere but the actual binaries and libraries must
be in that path.

I can produce a similar distrbution for 4.0 with Mavericks and, according to feedback I have received for the 3.8.2, release
it will probably work on Yosemite as well.

The problem is that it almost certainly will not be able to install packages as the developer tools on Mavericks and Yosemite
are different versions.

I did not update to Yosemite yet and I will not be able to do so for a while as I found some code I use for my research work
will not build on Yosemite so I need to stick with Mavericks.

Ben
c.

A while ago, I used the dylibbundler tool (https://github.com/auriamg/macdylibbundler) to generate a .app from something I compiled elsewhere. Granted, the program I was putting in the .app was a single binary with no supporting files and only a few dependencies.

Is there a reason we couldn't do this with Octave?I realize it could result in an enormous .app file because we would be putting all the relocated libraries inside of the .app file, but I think it would work. Also, as long as is was built for Mountain Lion or Mavericks, is *should* work on Yosemite too. A little searching found a pretty complicated script that does the entire relocating and .app creation process for FontForge (https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/blob/master/travis-scripts/create-osx-app-bundle-homebrew.sh#L118).

Carlo Falco and Ben Abbot,
Do you see any major hangups with this approach? I have been meaning to get back to helping Octave out more actively and maybe this is something I could take on.

John S.

No. I think it should work. Setting up the environment so that everything works will need some effort (i.e. mkoctfile and an initialization/launch script). I had made some progress on this approach a few years back.

http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_MacPorts

I have little time for Octave now, and would be thrilled so see someone take this on. If you’re up for that I can answer questions.

Ben