Re: Keeping the gui-release branch open considered harmful

From: Michael Godfrey
Subject: Re: Keeping the gui-release branch open considered harmful
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 21:21:13 -0500

On 01/29/2015 05:50 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
An offer I'll probably regret:

I'd even be willing to spend a little bit of time restoring the deprecated functions that have been removed in default (at least the ones for which that's a relatively trivial job).

And finally, an optimistic statement that will probably turn out to be completely false:

I don't know for sure since I haven't tried it, but I think that restoring the deprecated functions that were removed on the default branch should just be a matter of backing out some changesets that were made soon after the gui-release branch was created.

jwe
John,

I think that this makes clear that maintaining GUI and default is causing a lot more problems than it could possibly be worth. It is hard to imagine that doing a final merge and work form there
would be harder than dealing with all the divergent problems of 2 branches.

Michael