Re: Keeping the gui-release branch open considered harmful

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Keeping the gui-release branch open considered harmful
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:47:12 +0000

On 30 January 2015 at 15:27, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 01/29/2015 09:21 PM, Michael Godfrey wrote:
>
>> I think that this makes clear that maintaining GUI and default is
>> causing a lot more problems
>> than it could possibly be worth. It is hard to imagine that doing a
>> final merge and work form there
>> would be harder than dealing with all the divergent problems of 2
>> branches.
>
> Any other comments on this, or should I just close the branch?

While we use different branches to mean releases, branches can also
just mean a large piece of development that we want to happen separate
from the rest of development.

If we forget that the gui-release branch was meant to be a release on
its own, merging it back on default now that it is ready makes all the
sense.  Maybe we should have seen it like that from the very start, in
which case we would not had removed the deprecated stuff, but oh well.
Hopefully it will be simple to get the removed stuff back.

So yeah, I think this is a good idea.  Simple question, will the next
release be 4.2 or 4.0?

Carnë