Re: gui-release branch CLOSED

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: gui-release branch CLOSED
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 21:07:02 -0600

On 01/30/2015 07:49 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 01/30/2015 08:29 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

Why is the "make install" taking so long? It used to take just ten
seconds or so, but now it takes over a minute doing all sorts of library
operations like, what looks like, linking and reinstalling. Is it just
me with some outdated tools?

That's what libtool does.

The default build now comes up as 4.1.0+.

Not for me. For me, the version on the default branch is now 3.9.0+.

Aha. The problem is that I didn't push all my changes. I thought I had,
but it didn't happen because the "@" bookmark didn't advance for the
last operations I did. In any case, I've done that now. Update and you
should see two more changesets from me.

A few posts back was some
mention about the next release being 4.0.0. What is the next version
and where in the source tree will it be? Is stable?

Just before the next release, the default branch will be merged to (and
become) the stable branch. When the release is made, the version number
will be set to 4.0.0.

OK, updated and compiled.  I see 3.9.0+ now.

warning: strmatch is obsolete and will be removed from a future version
of Octave,please use strncmp, strcmp, or regexp instead
warning: called from
strmatch at line 63 column 5
unique at line 53 column 16
installed_packages at line 44 column 10
load_packages at line 26 column 22
pkg at line 419 column 7
/usr/local/share/octave/4.1.0+/m/startup/octaverc at line 20 column 1

I don't see that. I have no idea why it is happening for you.

Some cruft on my system from modifying unique.m tests long ago. The warning did its job.

One bug when attempting to print, which wants a temporary file. "tempname.m" and "tmpnam.m" recursively call one another:

which tempname
'tempname' is a function from the file /usr/local/share/octave/3.9.0+/m/miscellaneous/tempname.m
which tmpnam
'tmpnam' is a function from the file /usr/local/share/octave/3.9.0+/m/miscellaneous/tmpnam.m
tempname
error: max_recursion_depth exceeded
error: called from
    tmpnam at line 43 column 12
    tempname at line 29 column 12
    tmpnam at line 43 column 12
    tempname at line 29 column 12
[etc]

Is one of these functions something that was in the deprecated list?

Dan