Re: Taking care of old audio functions

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Taking care of old audio functions
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 22:08:08 -0500

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 12:08:06 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 01/11/2015 11:20 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> >My suggestion would be to keep but rewrite the record, wavread, and
> >wavwrite function files as wrappers around the new-style functions.
>
> I agree.

Ok, I started working on this, some fixes to the underlying functions
coming too.

> >The rest, loadaudio, saveaudio, playaudio, and setaudio, should probably
> >be deprecated.
>
> Yes, let's get deprecate and eventually remove these.

Ok, these functions are now deprecated.

> >We can also implement the missing functions sound and soundsc as simple
> >function file wrappers around the audioplayer class.
>
> OK.

Thanks for the feedback.

Part of this will be to make the player and recorder more responsive and
interruptible. I noticed you increased the audio buffer size in
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/8dce81f7448d, was there a
strong reason for this?

I'd like to decrease the buffer size again, and actually make it
relative to the audio sample rate, see my attached proposed changeset.
This results in recordings that are closer to the time requested by the
user, and means playback and recording can be interrupted more
immediately.

Comments on https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44142 also welcome.

--
mike